Do you have summer chores? Are you going to DIY or hire someone else to do it? How do you figure out which tasks you’re going to do/which tasks you’re going to hire out? You have to consider cost, time, personal preference, and safety concerns.
If you aren’t sure what to do, you can ask a professional. Most professionals will be happy to help you figure out if you want to do it on your own or hire.
- Mowing the Lawn. This is one to do yourself, you save some money, get some exercise and fresh air.
- Staining and Painting. Smaller jobs like doors, fences, and decks you can do yourself. This is fairly easy to do. A lot of the time that you’re going to spend here will be for preparation work. If you do this properly the actual painting will go quickly.
You should reseal and finish your decks and porches annually or biennially. Doing this yourself you can save a large chunk of money.
An exception when it comes to painting is when it’s the exterior of an entire house. This is where your time and safety concerns come in. If the job is done right you may not have to do it for close to 10 years.
- Maintaining the Pool. Having a pool can be a lot of work, opening and closing it, weekly cleanings, etc. Regularly maintaining this can keep your problems away. If you’re going to do this yourself, you will need to buy several pieces of equipment.
Hire someone to do these chores.
- Pressure washing around your home. Think about hiring someone to do this, it can be very dangerous. Hire somebody that knows what they’re doing.
- Pruning your trees. You can trim some shrubs around your home, but you may damage trees if you don’t know what you’re doing. To do this you will need specialized tools, and you need to be careful taking down the limbs. Hiring somebody will know how to do this without hurting themselves or the trees.